December 6th , 2023



featured img

2 months ago

A 13-year-old boy is fighting for his life in the hospital after being struck by lightning during a football match.

A youth footballer and a man in his 50s were both hit by lightning during a match at Sele School in Hertford on Monday afternoon.

The boy, who studied at a school outside, was competing in a district-level tournament when he was struck by lightning, and both were taken to the hospital separately. A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: 'The child was at Addenbrooke's Hospital in a critical condition and the man was taken to Princess Alexandra Hospital for more intensive care .'

Meanwhile, Sele School issued a brief statement saying the two victims, both unnamed, were receiving treatment. Principal Chris Quach said: “On Monday, October 2, after school, the district-level soccer tournament was held at Sele School.

Unfortunately, during the tournament, lightning struck several people, including two people—an adult and a student from another local high school—who were taken to the hospital for treatment.

“All the staff at Sele School, the wider school community, and I would like to thank the emergency services, parents, and staff who attended the match and were so helpful, as well as our first aiders. I did an incredible job waiting for the emergency services to respond.

Our best wishes and thoughts go out to those injured. A spokeswoman for Hertfordshire Police confirmed a 13-year-old man and a 52-year-old were involved.

They said: “We were called at around 5.20 p.m. yesterday (Monday, October 2) to assist the ambulance service after two people appeared to have been struck by lightning at a location on Welwyn Road in Hertford.

"A 13-year-old boy and a 52-year-old man were assessed by paramedics and taken to the hospital. At that time, the boy was in serious condition, and the man was stable." Millions of people across the UK were devastated by storms on Monday night.

Lightning struck and blew up a gas bunker in Oxfordshire, creating a huge fireball that was visible across several counties. The Met Office issued weather warnings for much of last week as hot weather arrived from the south this weekend.

Shocking pictures taken overnight show the extreme weather, leaving some West Country residents shocked after spotting a rare "orange fireball" in the sky. Residents reported Wi-Fi "going off", "bomb-like" noises, and "purple-blue flashes".

Some people thought it was a giant fireworks display, but light maps showed flashes of light on the east side of the canal near Hempsted, Gloucestershire Live reported.

One resident said, "It fell on my house; my son's PlayStation exploded, and there was no WiFi. I'm not sure if the TV worked or not. It was an electrical explosion right outside, blue and purple. so it's very noisy."

Meet the Author

Kofi Dekye Acquaye

Web Developer. Digital Marketer and a writer

follow me


Connect and interact with amazing Authors in our twitter community